Sunday, August 8, 2010

Recommendation of the Day

Oh my, oh my. If there was ever a time that one single dish of food deserves its own post, then THIS is it.
Restaurant: Ann Sather (Swedish Cuisine, whatever that is) on Southport in Chicago
Dish: French Toast Fantasy

Clint and I have decided to begin a tradition of Friday morning brunch, and we had passed Ann Sather's a couple of times and finally decided to check it out. It was a cute little restaurant, as I've noticed most of the restaurants in the area are cute and little -- about ten tiny tables crammed indoors with maybe four or five others outside.
On this particular Friday morning, the restaurant was full of people in their mid-twenties who appeared to be recovering from the bar activities of the previous night . . . this, I feel, is always a good sign of a good brunch. The menu was full of fantastic options and I was having trouble deciding between the Monte Cristo French toast (French toast covered in ham and swiss) or the French Toast Fantasy, which came with a Rachel Ray recommendation. And let's talk about Miss Ray for just a moment. I was excited to get her cookbook, but I have only found a few recipes that really got my attention. BUT whenever I see her name next to an item on a menu it totally deserves a second glance. At both Brother Juniper's and Arcade Cafe in Memphis, my faves come recommended by her -- the San Diegan at BJ and the Sweet Potato Pancakes at Arcade.
Anywho, I decided on the Fantasy, and ooooohhhhhhh myyyyyyyyy goooooodnessssss . . . it was named correctly. My taste buds had no idea what they were in for!
The ingredients: Two cinammon rolls dipped in whatever egg concoction they prepared for French toastifying it and filled with marscapone. Then this was covered in super-yummy, crunchy granola, berries, and powdered sugar. And to top it all off, I just HAD to order a side of bacon. You know, for some protein. This was HEAVEN for me, and I have no doubt if God has a restaurant he must order this from time to time. It was the perfect combination of sweet, cheesy, fruity, bready, crunchy, and savory . . . mmm . . . mmm . . . mmmmmmmm.
Stop dialing Jenny Craig's number for me -- I promise I am getting plenty of excercise. Okay, no I'm not, but my word I feel I deserved this. I've been put through a lot of changes lately and this French toast reward just made it all worth it. Now this is not a dish I can eat often, oh no. I will have to make this one a special treat for when I really, really deserve it. Thank the Lord there are billions of fantastic brunch places in Chicago or I might be tempted to go back tomorrow!

No comments: