Saturday, August 28, 2010

Baby, baby, you mean the world to me . . .

On Monday, August 23, at 10:10 AM, Wilson McLain Darby came into the world . . .

. . . and we were finally able to hold what we have only been able to dream about for months. And he couldn't be more beautiful and perfect.

So I guess I should start where I left off in the last post . . . lying in a hospital bed numb from the waist down watching the Today Show. This was the board in our room with all the important names and "The Plan." At this point I was waiting on the birthday party for Mack . . .
. . . so we patiently waited and I updated my blog and played on Facebook and shopped for clothes I will hopefully be able to fit into sometime in the next few months . . .. . . and Clint worked a little and practiced his batting stance in case a recruiter for the Cubs or Sox happened to be in the hospital with a pregnant wife.Then before I knew it Dr. Levin told me I could put the computer down because it was time to push. Say what? But I was in the middle of a convo with a buddy on Facebook and I wasn't finished looking for a winter coat . . . and we hadn't found the perfect background music. And Hoda was talking about something really ridiculous and I didn't have time to change the channel. But Mack was ready to come whether I was or not.

It was just Dr. Levin, the sweet nurse Maggie, Clint, and me. Very relaxed and surreal. With Mimi's delivery, there were about ten people in the room talking and cheering us on, so this was a much different experience. In between contractions, Dr. Levin told us about her three children and Maggie discussed regional dialects and her father-in-law from Alabama.
And after pushing through about four or five contractions, suddenly a new person was in the room.Mack Darby showed up in his birthday suit all gooey and mad and let out the cutest little squeaky cry that was such sweet music to our ears. Clint and I were instantly in love. The round head covered in dark hair. The pink, fuzzy skin covering his tiny body. The skinniest little feet. And they are all ours to touch and hold and kiss.
But there was still someone else who had to meet him . . . his big sister, Mimi. This was a moment I have been a little nervous about for a while. How will Mimi react to a new baby? Has she even understood what we've been telling her about Mack?
We heard the faint knock on the door and Miss Mimi was one of the first to enter. "Where baby brudder? Where baby brudder?" Wow. She got it.
But she didn't seem to notice for too long, and then it was on to something else. We were able to fit in a quick family shot before she jumped down to look out the windows. Honestly, I am very happy with this reaction . . . I guess it could have been much worse, and I know she'll come around because Mack will think she is the coolest.And there were others ready to meet the little guy and welcome him into the family. Mack, meet your Top and Shug. I'm sure Top is racking his brain here trying to come up with the perfect nickname and Shug is looking over and inspecting trying to take you all in.
And this is your Poppaw. You'll get a kick out of this guy, but don't trust a word he says about politics.

And here is your sweet Bebe. She will hold you until your little body is sore and will cook absolutely anything you want. That is, when you have teeth.I took the advice of others (and myself :)) and let Mack sleep in the nursery at night. During the middle of the first night, one of the nurses brought him to me fresh from his bath, and I couldn't help to giggle out loud. He has his daddy's hair -- the same hairline, the same hair in front that we're not sure if it should part on the left or right, and the swirl on the top. And the nurses had even flipped up the front.But he has my nose and my chin with a dimple. The eyes are dark grey, so maybe the will be a beautiful dark green like Clint's. The ears might be mine, but the skinny feet . . . where in the world did he get those skinny feet?

Smitten.The next day Mimi came back and had a really cool name tag.And she found some fun 3D glasses to keep herself occupied while everyone oohed and ahhed over her baby brudder.. . . ooohh. . .. . .ahhh . . . so, so sweet. I'm not going to lie and say I was anxious to get home because it was so nice to order room service and have a nurse's button. But I was ready to shower at my house and sleep in my bed, so I guess it was time to leave. I can't say enough nice things about Prentice Women's Hospital and its wonderful staff. They made my stay as comfortable as possible and all the nurses were amazing.

I had to get this shot before we left. So, so tiny. I'll have to bookmark this one for a great comparison in a year.

1 comment:

Lindley said...

Mack is so sweet. I have a picture just like that of Wyatt in his car seat right after he was born.