Thursday, August 12, 2010

After a month in Chicago . . .

. . . Mimi and I had been patiently waiting for the arrival of . . . Our favorite magazine! I'll let you guess which one it is . . . hard decision, huh?
Of course GQ is Clint's, but I like the look of it this month :). Woo hoo! My Southern Living finally arrived. Now this condo finally feels like home! As soon as I had time I scanned the pages for decorating ideas and fantastic recipes that I will try one of these days when I have enough energy and time. Until then I'll just look at the photos and drool.
So maybe I do have plenty of time since there is no longer an official 9-5, but, my word, I have no energy. Baby Mack's arrival is less than 2 weeks away now, and he is really growing and using up all my vitamins and energy. Of course I want him to, but I want a nap by 9:00 AM every morning. I am prioritizing and only exerting energy on necessary cleaning and cooking, and I'm trying to teach Mimi to start pulling her weight around here.

But she's not doing a very good job. She's just making the messes. Because of her these dark wood floors must be swept daily, but it's not really a big deal. She loves to sit at a bar stool or in a pink chair at the coffee table to eat her snack, and at least half of it ends up on the floor. But it's not really all her fault -- Ruthie isn't pulling her weight cleaning up after Mimi's messes either. If we had Spike, there wouldn't be a speck of food on the floor, but Ru Ru likes to watch her slim figure.

I do what I can, but poor Mimi doesn't quite have the entertaining Mom she may have hoped for . . . so what do we do about that? We watch lots and lots of TV. Ugh. I have become what I hoped I wouldn't. I'm trying to cut back but I can only handle running errands and going to the park for so long before I feel like I could fall over. About a week ago it rained all day, so Mimi watched the Tigger movie not once, but twice (thanks for it, by the way, Bobby, Melina, and Oriana!).

And this is her fave place to sit and view her "stories" as we jokingly call her videos (pronounced "sto-rees") -- in her little pink chair.



And I promise she doesn't sit and stare the entire time. She is doing a great job of playing with her puzzles, playing dress-up, pretending with her Little People, and cooking in her kitchen. She also loves to make her fat mama sit on the floor and roll balls with her.

So what else have I been up to? Sewing up a storm like the homemaker I aspire to be. I have made a million bibs and burp cloths for Mack, finished his bedding, and still have a few more projects left for his room. I've also been working on a few gifts and cannot wait to share photos -- but I don't want to ruin the surprise for the ones receiving the gifts . . . so you'll have to wait a little while . . .

Roscoe Village recently had a fantastic reason to celebrate -- Top and Shug had arrived for a visit! So what did the village do -- threw a street party in their honor!! Well, at least that's what we told them . . . just kidding.
Retro on Roscoe has become an annual event on Roscoe Street, and I so can't wait to go again next year. Please go ahead and book your plane tickets to visit us around this time next year. The street was lined with cool vendors and food, and there were three stages with great music. When we first arrived, one stage was playing hippie Allman Brothers type music, another was playing Pearl Jam and Kings of Leon, and the last was a Dave Matthews cover band -- and they were all fantastic. My goodness how I wanted a beer and a babysitter! But that's for next year.

And here is the happy family on their way to the festival. I L-O-V-E that we could walk to it!
And I say I wish we had a sitter, but Mimi Darby had a great time shaking it in the middle of the crowd.But this is where she really wanted to be . . . at the front where the speakers were busting her eardrums. She was weaving in between legs and strollers and pushing people down to get there. Oh, yes, I'm afraid she's going to be that girl dancing at the front. Good for her :).Whew, so exhausted.
And with Top and Shug come presents! Shirley likes to give Mimi, in her words, "a lot of junk that she'll love." Any oh my how she does love a bunch of junk (which makes Christmas and bdays so nice and affordable!). I love this fabulous outfit girlfriend is rocking!

2 comments:

Amy S. Norris said...

i really, really, really, really need to meet this child. her and lou would be all about each other.

maybe i will come next year for the festival, i DO love a street festival. hmmmmmm. hehe.

Lindley said...

If you don't have the swiffer vacuum, you should really get one. So much better than a dust mop or sweeping with a broom and alot easier than dragging out the big vacuum.