Saturday, January 7, 2012

Out with the Old

It's so cool to have a New Year's Resolution, and I strive to be cool on a daily basis. I fail miserably. Daily. But I still must play along for fun.

So I have two resolutions:

1.) To floss.

And not just because the dental assistants always take a disgusted deep breath when they begin flossing my teeth and realize that I don't ever bother. But because I could actually live longer. I remember reading something about how the plaque build-up in between my teeth can actually lead to a heart attack. I have no idea if it's true or not, but flossing leads to better health and better breath. I say "why not?"

2.) To fix all things broken and dirty.

Around the house, that is. We don't really have anything broken, but there have been several light bulbs that I needed to replace. Also, there is serious soap scum build-up on our glass shower doors, and I've let it go long enough. That's right. I finally pulled out some Lysol and bought a squeegee. Yes! That is a real word. I Googled it. And I thought it was just something that rich people and my sister bought, but I've begun noticing that basically everyone with glass shower doors has one. Oh my. So now I do, too.

Okay, I know this is not what you were hoping to see. I'm sure you wanted me to resolve to do something fantastic, but really that's all the energy I have right now. The holidays absolutely wore me out, and these are the only two achievable things that come to mind.

The only other thing I could possibly think about is maybe getting a job. Not a real job. But maybe a small part-time something. But I don't really want set hours or a whole lot of responsibility. Because my real job is being a mommy, which I take very seriously and is full-time with some crazy over-time hours. I've just been thinking that maybe I could find some sort of outlet for all this creative energy I have that is dying to get out (I mean, did you see my last post with all the ridiculous homemade nonsense?). Maybe I haven't written about this on the blog much, but I get a wee bit of anxiety occasionally when I haven't had time to "make" something. I can write a little, draw a little, paint a little, sew a little, cook a little, and dabble in a few other things, but I'm not really fantastic and any of this. Basically I just want someone to babysit my monkeys a few hours a week so I can create something. So I need to get paid enough to cover a sitter. Sewing and blogging help me a little but they pay nothing (unless I sew for someone else but I'm not good enough to actually expect someone to pay for it). Wanna hire me? Or better yet, do you want to babysit for me for free? Oh, I can hear the people lining up outside my door right now.

Moving on. In case you didn't notice, we just started a new year. Hello, 2012. So far you're not too bad.

And most cool people dress up in sparkles and make reservations, and then yell numbers backwards loudly while blowing into a shiny paper horn thing.

But if one is REALLY cool, he or she actually hosts a party.

Meet the two coolest folks around.

Mr. and Mrs. Darby. New Year's Eve party hosts extraordinaire.

And what would good hosts be without posting some fantastically embarrassing photos on-line? Well, probably hosts that no one would be mad at but whatever.

We can't take all the credit because the two love birds below actually co-hosted. But they don't have a blog so I guess I can write whatever I want.


And the monkeys were there. At least until their bedtime.
What happens when you mix MY children in with a NYE party?
Everyone starts having more fun, that's what.

A night at home with wonderful friends was perfect. No crowds. No lines. No uncomfortable shoes that I couldn't take off for risk of cutting my feet and developing an infection. This was exactly what I wanted for a start to a new year. Cheers to 2012 and sweet, sweet friends.

Happy New Year!

No comments: