Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Six Years Ago . . .

Well, it actually began about 11 years ago.  I was minding my own business (and drinking too much beer) at a fraternity party at Mississippi State with my roommate, and by the end of the night, I was talking nonstop with a cute guy in glasses.  I'd seen him before at Ole Miss.  We shared lots of mutual friends.  He even worked on my brother's political campaign.  But I wasn't looking for him that night.  And he wasn't looking for me . . . but fate or chance or luck or God made sure that my roommate thought his friend was cute.  And so our story began . . .

Neither he nor I wanted a serious relationship in college, so we made sure that didn't happen.  Regardless of what we said we didn't want, we were drawn to each other.  I loved running into him on campus.  He stayed by my side for the rest of the night if we bumped into each other on the Oxford square.  He asked all of his Corinth buddies what they thought about me.  I made my girlfriends help me analyze exactly what he was thinking.  It wasn't a conventional "courtship," but I think it happened exactly the way it was supposed to happen.

A few years later we decided that we wanted to grow old together and have babies and share absolutely everything.

So we had a wedding in my beautiful hometown.  It wasn't fancy or expensive or worthy of a two-page spread in Mississippi magazine, but it was sweet and wonderful and perfect for me . . . just like Clint :)

This morning I was going through old photos and came across these . . . and, oh, how they make me giggle.  These are from a time that we knew nothing about sharing a bathroom.  We had never saved money or budgeted.  We knew nothing about fighting and crying and forgiving and laughing at ourselves.  We knew nothing about sacrificing our wants for the needs of a newborn.  We had no idea how to rely on only each other in a new big city away from family.  We couldn't fully understand what those precious vows we repeated would entail, but we knew we were up for the challenge.  













And I thank God every day that we continue to be stubborn enough to meet the challenge.  Happy anniversary, Clint!!

No comments: