Sunday, December 26, 2010

Lord, Have Mercy . . .


. . . Baby's got her bluejeans on.
So I did something I didn't think I would ever do . . . I bought jeans for Mimi before she turns four-years-old. I know this seems silly, but I have never been crazy about jeans on little ones. But just look at how much she loves them . . .I like for toddlers to look like toddlers in comfy knit outfits and pretty smocked dresses -- they have the rest of their lives to wear adult clothes -- but that kind of stuff isn't cutting it in Chicago. Mimi has a closet full of pretty dresses and outfits that will not get worn this winter because I had no idea we wouldn't be in a place with 50 degree winters when I bought them. Thin little smocked dresses are for the birds when it's only 15 degrees outside. And I don't have time to put 3 different layers of tights and knit pants on every day, so a fun pair of warm jeans was the best option.
And I have to say that I'm really, really excited about them (as is Mimi). This has opened a whole new door of opportunity for her attire. I think she's starting to look like a really cool little kid. On my first trip to Gap Kids, I picked up the skinny jeans, but when I put them on her she looked like a first grader. I just couldn't do it. So the "Playdate Straight" won. I love them.

Throughout December Mimi has come across some of my favorite Holiday things -- one of them being The Polar Express.
I bought the book for her first Christmas, and she found it on the shelf a few weeks ago. I read it to her a couple of times, and then she attempted to read it back to me. Her version is usually much more fun than mine. The best part is when she goes through about three or four pages asking, "Where da elves? I don't see da elves? Oh, dere dey are! And Santa Claus! And a jingle bell!" We watched the movie with her one night, which was a little frightening at times, but she didn't want us to turn it off.
Her biggest obsession on TV throughout the holiday season has been the Frosty the Snowman cartoon. She knows all the words to the song and woke up most mornings begging to watch it. It's such a strange little cartoon, too, with a terrible magician who chases Frosty to get back his magical hat. But, whatever, it made Mimi happy.

Before our sweet nanny Lacy flew home for Christmas, she gave Mimi one of her best Christmas presents ever, Play-doh. How awesome. And she's so great at playing with it. She doesn't stick it up her nose or throw it at the dog or anything nuts like that.
And little Macky-poo is continuing to get bigger and bigger . . . and steal my heart more and more each day. He's actually "playing" with things now and is the best laugher I've ever met. He's has a fun little tickle spot under his chin that makes him laugh so hard he loses his breath. How can I keep him four months old a little longer?

Mmm-mwah! I can't kiss these cheeks enough!

Oh, and how hilarious is this? I know a lot of little ones who are mad about their paci or their thumbs, but my babies are a little different . . . they prefer their left two middle fingers. How did this happen? Did Mimi teach Mack? Whatever calms them is just fine with me.
I think "Calm" should have been Mack's middle name. This little guy rarely gets worked up about much at all -- unless he's laughing hysterically. He's put himself on a schedule -- eat, play for about an hour, and then he wants to go to sleep. He wakes up at about 6:45 and finally goes to sleep for the night around 10:00. No complaints here.

No comments: