Saturday, December 11, 2010

Happy Birthday-Giving!

Let me start by saying how thankful I am that my children and my husband are fantastic travelers. Chicago is about 9 hours away from Memphis and the thought of making the drive again at Christmas isn't quite so frightening considering how easy the last few have been.

It was wonderful to catch up with friends and family while we were in Memphis. Thank you Kyle and Libby for the fantastic morning at the park and margaritas at Molly's for lunch. It's times like that when I really, really miss our Memphis buddies, but I feel weekly margaritas at lunch might not be a normal routine if I still lived in Memphis. Who am I kidding? Yes, it would be. But I forgot the camera, so I have no cute photos of Mimi playing with Banks and Hadley or of babies Mack and Ellis hanging out together. I MUST remember to bring the camera at Christmas. Maybe we can repeat the margarita luncheon, also.

We really enjoyed our time at the Darbys, but Mimi's favorite part was the time she was able to spend with her cousins Olivia and JR. Olivia is such a big helper with watching the little ones, and JR and Mimi have the funniest little conversations and play so well together. As soon as JR arrived at the park, Mimi immediately stopped what she was doing and ran down the hill at full speed screaming, "JR!!!! I see JR!! JR, come swing and slide with me!! Wa-hoo!!"
Shug tried to teach Mimi how to play Red Light, Green Light that night after dinner, and while she wasn't very good at stopping when Shug yelled Red Light, she still had so much fun.
When we left Chicago it was about 20 degrees that morning, but when we arrived in Memphis, it was about 65. I know that was unseasonably warm for Memphis, but I thought I was going to burn up. Maybe my blood is already "thickening" as people seem to say, but Memphis felt crazy-hot. Short sleeves were fine for Thanksgiving. And so was playing outside . . . with a chain saw. What a funny kid.

Maybe it was the two birthdays we celebrate around Thanksgiving in my family -- my sister's and my dad's -- but we couldn't get Mimi to say, "Happy Thanksgiving!" It kept turning out to be, "Happy Birthday-Giving!" So maybe that's the Nixon family's version of Christmakuh. It's Thanksgiving with cake. Good stuff.

Sweetness. Dad calls Mack his "Fat Little Buddy." He he.
It's no secret that Nick is Mimi's favorite in my family. We've all learned to accept this and let her have plenty of Nick time. They snuggled and watched lots of Spongebob and Phineas and Ferb.
Since Mimi likes Nick so much, CoCo has decided that Mack will love her. And so far, she is right.
Such a happy little monkey.

And I never could get Mack to stop watching TV and look at the camera.
I think I just finished unpacking from Thanksgiving, and the suitcases are still out. What's the point? I should have left them packed since we'll be heading home again in about a week!

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Too funny...Graham kept saying, "Happy Birthday-Giving" too! His birthday was the week before Thanksgiving, so he had his birthday on his mind for months before.