Friday, July 30, 2010

Our First Guests

After a stressful week of unpacking boxes and trying to find my way around a new city, I was so excited to have my sister's family visit for the weekend from Nashville. I think everyone was a little concerned this might overwhelm me, but it was SO great to have them here. My sister always has a major case of the "go-go's" and she forced us to get out of our little neighborhood comfort zone and do some touristy things. The first night they were here we stayed in Roscoe and I took them to a fantastic Italian restaurant only 2 blocks from my house -- Piazza Bella -- and I was able to show them the new 'hood. Saturday was a completely different story because they wanted to venture off downtown. And where did Amy want to go first? To take Mimi to the American Girl Store! I have to admit I was even a little excited about this. Mimi stopped and said, "Wow!" as soon as she saw the store and she couldn't take it all in fast enough. She thought the dolls were neat, but she loved their toys the most.
But her most favorite was the Bitty Better Kit, which was an overpriced pink doctor's kit. If you've been around Mimi any, you know she sometimes likes to call herself "Docta Mimi." She had a blast taking care of the babies . . . so of course we had to bring this kit home with us so she could make sure we all stay in good health.

By the way, check out the difference in our hair color. Really? How did I have this child?
Mimi's first cab ride in the city. And what do you do without a carseat? Stand up so you can look out the window and let the wind blow in your hair, of course. And we all know what wonderful, safe drivers these cabbies are. Yeah, right.
Next stop was the Navy Pier, which was tourism at its best. Mimi found some great music to shake her little body to, and I'm pretty sure she was getting more attention than the band! Check out the guy in the green shirt -- recognize him from "The Biggest Loser"? Okay, me neither, but someone said he was the winner. I googled some photos and couldn't find anyone looking like him, but I'll go with the rumor.
And after an extremely long day, tourist Mimi finally sacked out in the stroller (thank goodness). Mimi's favorite part of the whole weekend was having her cousin Nick around. Nick is pretty darn special to Mimi and she woke up every morning looking for him . . . and she still does occassionally. I have to tell her he's in Nashville, but she still seems a little sad he can't spend every day with her. She loves him so much that she calls every little boy between the ages of 6-11 Nick!

So some more updates from the Darby family:

1. First of all, we still love Chicago and mainly because the people are sooo awesome -- the moms at the park, the other couples that live in our building, the waiters at the restaurants, the really nice guy who helped me carry Mimi's stroller up a flight of stairs, and the old man with a cane who made it a point to turn around and walk back to a door just to hold it open for me. How awesome.

2. I had another doctor's appointment today, which I was completely nervous about. Not the appointment but the whole day itself. I exhausted all my resources for babysitters to watch Mimi so Clint and I could go alone, but none of the sitters were able to watch her today. And then Clint realized he had the time wrong and actually had a meeting with a borrower during that time. Yikes! I had to figure out how to get to the office I have never driven to, figure out how to park and get Mimi inside, and then figure out how to keep her occupied while in the office for maybe up to two hours. On top of this we also had to find a UPS warehouse south of downtown to pick up a package that the UPS guy refused to leave downstairs in our building. Double Yikes! Okay, with the big girl britches on I attempted finding the UPS place first. Success. And Mimi let me hold her the entire time we were waiting, which was painless. Then off through the traffic to the doctor's office and to figure out parking. Parking that was a couple of levels below ground. Parking that was not handicap accessible and therefore not stroller-friendly for a very pregnant momma. So we get to the stairs and this super sweet couple immediately stopped me and the guy told me I had to let him help me with the stroller up the stairs. Well, of course I did. And then came the old man with the cane holding open the super-heavy door to the elevators. So impressed.

Anyway, Miss Mimi was a complete angel in both the waiting room and the exam room. She stayed in her stroller the entire time and played with her new Docta Mimi kit and examined her baby doll. Wow, God was really helping out a stressed out momma today.

The exam itself was wonderful and the doctor I saw today let me know everything is perfect. She heard me talk for about 2 seconds and realized I had just fallen off a Mississippi turnip truck and asked me how long I had been in Chicago. Uh, just 2 weeks. So being the thoughtful doctor that she is, she asked how I felt about an early induction so I could have family around to help out with the little munchkin who was in her stroller singing "Baa Baa Black Sheep" to the top of her lungs. We set the date for August 23, and, whew, do I ever feel better. It doesn't look like Mack is at all interested in making an early arrival, so we should be safe knowing he probably won't come before this date.

3. We are beginning to make friends and feel more at home. We are meeting a couple over the weekend Clint knows from his job probably to let our girls play at the park and are grilling out with the neighbors one night. I also met some mommies at the park who have little girls Mimi's age and they have a girl's group that sounds a lot like my Bunko girls in Memphis. I so need an outlet from watching Yo Gabba Gabba and playing Docta Mimi and Barbie Make-Up party!!

1 comment:

Kyle and Matt Still said...

JA-the biggest loser guy is Allen. He was either in the last season or the one before that. He didn't win though. Love your "celeb" sighting!!!