Sunday, May 16, 2010

Happy to Mommy!

As of today, I have been on this earth for 31 years, and it has been a beautiful life so far. My childhood consisted of a very full and busy household with the two most insanely loving parents and three older siblings who couldn't be more opposite from one another. They helped mold me into a person who is patient, accepting, and willing to appreciate the small things in life. I was able to make some of my most amazing friends and teachers in high school who taught me to be confident and proud of myself and my, well, my quirkiness. Although I did many things in college that make me cringe to remember, I have so many memories and "AHA moments" that make me laugh out loud. As an adult, I love my job (and a few of my fabulous co-workers!!) more than anyone I know and am so grateful for the awesome group of friends we have in Memphis and those few girlies who are just crazy enough to remain in touch with me. I try hard to not have many regrets but to appreciate all the experiences and how they made me into the person I am today, which I can honestly say I am happy with.
At 31 years old, I am married to my very best friend who possesses all the good qualities and characteristics that I don't. I would rather not talk about problems when he is an open book, he manages money well when I NEVER do, I'm indecisive when he chooses quickly, and I second-guess myself when he has enough confidence for both of us. And he loves me more than I ever thought any boy could. He loves that my favorite clothes can come from Target and that I don't always shower or wear make-up on Saturdays. He loves my taste in music and trusts my judgement with literature. He loves my tanless, freckled skin and unruly frizz of hair that results from pregnancy . . . and he loves that I'm pregnant. He even loves that I am addicted to Project Runway, The Hills, and So You Think You Can Dance, and he watches them with me even when I won't watch baseball with him. He thinks I'm smart and easy to talk to and never fails to compliment me every day . . . and he is the father of the most beautiful little wild monkey in the world . . . and I have absolutely no idea what I have done to deserve him.
Oh, and Mimi. I can't even begin to say how much she has added to my life in the short time she has been a part of it. She has been singing "Happy to you, Mommy!" all day, which is the sweetest song I've ever heard. And I'm getting to add another little angel at the end of the summer. What do I have to compain about? Like I said, 31 beautiful years.
We are still at the beach, and Clint and I went to my FAVORITE restaurant, Cafe Tango, last night to celebrate my birthday. I recommend it to everyone -- reservations are a must and the gorgonzola steak or fish "Tango style" are the best. Here I am being a big ole goober. This morning I had my first official photo shoot with Mimi, which was a really sweet way to start my birthday. I must have commented to Mom a thousand times about how pretty Mimi is and pretended the saltwater was stinging my eyes and I wasn't tearing up. Everything is new and interesting to her little mind, and it is a joy to watch her discover the beach. She danced and sang and pointed out every little bird and seashell that came in her way. I'll post more pics later, but this is just a little teaser. And the lit for the week is Barrel Fever, the only David Sedaris I haven't read. I know, I know, you totally think I read James Patterson or Nicholas Sparks. Vomit. I hate that stuff. What I love is a selfish, cynical gay man's essays. L-O-V-E it. Don't recommend it to everyone because I don't think he's for everyone, but he is so for me. He makes me laugh out loud and look behind my shoulder to make sure no one from FBC Corinth is standing behind me reading the foul language on the page. Although we have nothing in common, he inspires me to want to write more. Once on a trip I read Engulfed in Flames and immediately started on about ten essays that week. Don't roll your eyes -- I used to love writing. Now it's all crap and a blog about a toddler, but I still love and appreciate the therapy of it all. I'm working towards letting people read them someday but for now they are for me.
Insert gasp here.
Yes, I am wearing a bikini and I'm six months pregnant. I do not apologize but do hope I haven't made anyone uncomfortable. If so, just scroll down quickly. Some may feel this is as taboo as wearing seersucking after Labor Day, but, I mean, why? One of the perks of being pregnant is that I don't have to suck in or worry about what I eat before hitting the beach. What bothers me most is the white legs. What in the world happens as I get older that causes my legs to not tan?

After both my mom and dad tried about 25 times to take a family pic, this is the best we came up with. Most only included some body parts, none that included our heads.

Pretty, pretty, pretty girl.
And I just had to include one more of Emerson . . . she may have to be my desktop for a while. How can I have a bad day after seeing how happy she is in this photo?
And the first official baby Darby pic in a while. Once again, he's getting jipped. Mimi had a belly pic like once a week, but this is only my second for Connor (still only 99% sure on "Connor" but nothing else is coming to mind). And this little booger is causing my feet and ankles to swell BUT he is causing no indigestion like what Mimi did. What else . . . he is still moving around like crazy and I swear he starts dancing when he hears Mimi sing her ABC's or one of her silly made-up songs (usually to the tune of ABC's). He kicked my sunglasses out of my lap yesterday -- I promise.

No comments: