Sunday, April 4, 2010

Death to the Tomato

Remember my super-long list of sewing ideas and my sudden passion for all things creative? There's a problem already. I. HAVE. NO. TIME. and this really irks me to no end. I have purchased pretty fabric and have great tools, but I can't sit down to do anything until 9:30 at night. And 10:00 is bedtime for a pregnant person who has to go to work the following day.

This all hit me in the middle of last week when I was sitting at the table during dinner, which was probably take-out because I also cannot seem to find the time to go to the grocery store. I was looking over at the sewing machine and fabric and trying to decide what I might have time to make that night. And then I saw it. That ugly little tomato. I can remember my mom having one when I was a little girl, and I always wanted to play with it so badly. When she got up from her sewing to answer the phone one day, I realized this was my chance. I reached my little hand up to the table where it was nesting and gripped it tight. Ewwww . . . not a good idea. So a pincushion contains pins, hu? Who would've ever guessed? And from that day on I have HATED that stupid blood-red tomato with the little strawberry dingleberry hanging off the top.

I only had a limited amount of time to plot the murder of this ugly yet still necessary pin cushion. Mimi was about to go to bed, and then I still had about 20 other things to do before I could do the same. I thought fast and worked diligently, and this is how I defeated the fruit:

Ta Da! The happy little pincushion. It is so cute yet useful, and I didn't actually have to murder the tomato -- I just covered it up so I could never ever see it again. And I am sad to say that this is the last thing I have created while my list continues to grow. I actually had a friend e-mail recently after seeing something I made for Mimi and asked me how much I would charge her for pants and an A-line top. Well, at least $2,000 to pay for my time and stress! Ha! Really, hopefully it won't be much longer until I can somehow squeeze in a few projects because I will be faster . . . we'll see.

No comments: