Friday, July 12, 2013

Big Girl Britches, Check

They're on.  And they happen to be a bright yellow skinny jean, which can only make a girl happy, right?

Chin up and that sort of thing is what's going on in my world now.  I had my youngest-child-that's-not-fair moment, and now it's over.  Nothing else in my house has really changed except my attitude, and sometimes that's all that needs to change.  No more cussing, no more screaming, and no more feeling sorry for myself.  This too shall pass . . . it still doesn't help to hear it, but I don't doubt it's truth.

Mack is still boycotting sleep.  I started drugging him with melatonin a couple of nights ago (the tiniest dose so no judging, please), and it has helped him sleep a bit longer.  Last night it was about 10:30-5:00 AM, and I'm cool with that as long as he stops waking up at 2:00 AM and wandering around the house.  And he woke me up all happy and cute this morning, and we had a good snuggle.  He smells like lavender lotion in the morning and loves to nuzzle up under my neck and rub his fuzzy head in my face.  He won't stay still long, but the few seconds I get are enough to make me not be concerned about skipping my early morning alone time coffee.

We thought that maybe he hated his crib since he's a bit too big for it, so I finally set up the fancy Ikea toddler bed.  He and Mimi snuggled in it and watched Peter Pan on the iPad for a while last night.  Why I didn't take a picture of all the cuteness is beyond me, but I'm hoping there are more of those moments to come.  I left the crib up in case he needed to crawl into last night, but I don't think that happened.

Hooligans.



On to other news.  I'm waving the white flag and saying uncle to this city lifestyle.  Living in the city the past three years has been sooooo cool.  Like I'm pretty sure I'm cooler than I've ever been in my whole life being in this big, busy city.  We walk to the dentist, my daughter rides her pink scooter to school, I know enough to give tourists directions, and I can plan a vacay for your family better than a travel agent.  So proud of the way we adjusted to Chicago coming from small towns in Mississippi.  The South is unlike any other place in America, and everyone looks shocked when I tell them how much we've loved the big city life.

But the car horns and bikers who don't obey traffic laws and over-priced everything is wearing on this momma.  It's nice to be able to walk places, but when the car is necessary in all this traffic I'm ready to call it quits.  I feel so much tension in this city.  Everyone is in a hurry.  Everyone needs others to get out of their way.  So much noise and lights and impatience.  I have many friends who do it beautifully, but this family is throwing in the towel.

In a couple of weeks we'll head north to a sleepy little village.  I'm excited and nervous but ready once again for change.  Clint will be able to easily hit a few golf balls after work nearby.  Mimi will still be able to ride her scooter to school but without almost every car running every stop sign.  Mack will be able to run free in a yard and not be overwhelmed at crowded parks and restaurants.  And I will be able to sit on my screened in porch and at times hear absolutely nothing but the birds and the wind blowing off Lake Michigan . . . ahhhhhh . . .

Not that we'll live on the lake.  That's saved for retired movie stars and owners of sports teams, but I know the lake is still nearby and that's why I pushed for this area.  It feels like a beach town with families on bikes and little girls in Lilly Pulitzer.  I once turned my nose up at parents who wanted to raise their children in a bubble, but now I'm all for that bubble.  It's about what we expose them to with traveling and reading and volunteering, so I don't mind sheltering them and letting them have a secure childhood for a bit.  Because I'm able to control all of this . . . um, yeah, right . . .  

We're only a few miles away from the city, so coming back won't be too difficult.  Especially for restaurants.  I still only have about 1,000 restaurants I need to try!  We've made some of the best friends of our lives, and moving to Chicago has been such a blessing.  It was divine intervention that we happily moved my 34 weeks pregnant self from all that we've ever know into a big ole city I'd only visited once.  It made sense to no one, not really even us, but my gut felt it was the right thing.

So we'll be rocking out with our blocks out in the burbs, and I'll try to post pics and not whine for the next few posts.  Mimi is already signed up for a safety camp and tennis -- you know, the suburban things to do.  Safety camp sounds kind of nerdy, but she'll get to meet all the village cops and firemen and beach lifeguards along with learning the proper protocol in emergency situations.  Not a bad idea for a sometimes too brave little girl.

Mack is signed up for a fantastic little preschool that knows all about little monkeys like him.  He's not big on change, but I know the slower, simpler life can only help him be happier.

Now on to packing and renovating and drinking coffee on a porch . . .

1 comment:

*kara*intn said...

I don't know you, but enjoy your blog. I ran across this picture of Pink with her daughter today, and immediately thought - "that looks like Mimi!". Thought you might want to see it. I hope I'm not freaking you out.
Kara