Saturday, September 3, 2011

Night-Night


I must write about this moment before I forget it. It's nothing unusual, but I want to remember this little time at night that I share with Mack. Sometimes I will try to think back to specific sweet moments with Mimi, and I realize that most of the moments I remember are those that I photographed. Fearful that one day I will not be able to pull up a true memory of the way my children were without that moment being one I captured with a photograph, I am grateful we decided to splurge on a quality camera last summer. But this blog is also helping me with those memories, so here is one that I want to make sure I record.

Tonight I went through my normal "night-night" routine with Mack of giving him some milk and putting him to bed. I have become selfish with this time and rarely ask Clint to help with this, and tonight was no different. Sometimes after drinking his milk, Mack will squirm and wiggle and arch his back and point toward his crib. I'm happy on those nights that he makes it so easy for me to let him go, but I'm so sad that he doesn't want to allow me to hold him longer. Tonight he allowed me to hang on a few more minutes.

After finishing his milk, he handed his Toy Story sippy cup to me, gave me a quick look, and then nuzzled his fuzzy blonde head in my shoulder. He made a few little grunts and sighs and then quickly threw back his big noggin and almost gave me a nice head-butt if I hadn't been ready to move out of the way. He giggled and then threw back his head again for me to catch . . . and then forward . . . and then back again until he giggled so much he could barely catch his breath. With his little soft hands placed on both of my cheeks he intensely stared into my eyes, and then as soon as he spotted what he was looking for he turned my head to the left and began to inspect. You see, he is absolutely obsessed with the pearl earrings I wear every day. Clint gave them to me a couple of years ago for my birthday, and I love that Mack hunts for them every night. He pointed at it and twisted it and then without warning he placed his hands on my face again and quickly twisted my head to the other side to search for the other one. While he was doing this he began rubbing my cheek and sang "aaaahhhh," and as I was about to completely turn to a pile of goo from all this sweetness he put his face about 1/2 inch away from mine, turned up the corners of his sweet little mouth to grin, and then . . .

BUUUURRRPPPPP . . . right in my face.

And then he belted out his biggest belly laugh of the day. Sigh. And, yes, this is the special time I want to remember. My little Bubby's silly sense of humor . . .

No comments: