Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Our Obsessions

It all started when Miss Jackie gave Mimi If You Give a Mouse a Cookie in her Valentine goodie bag at school. She and I were reading it a few days ago, and when we got to the page where the mouse has giant crayons and paper she freaked out.
"Color! Color! COLOR!!"
"That's right, Mimi. The mouse is coloring."
And then she started trying to scratch the crayons off the paper with her little fingers.
"COOLLEERR!!" she sobbed. "COOLLEERR!!!!!"
Oh my goodness. I had to think quick. Where had I hidden her crayons? I pulled them out a couple of weeks ago and learned she had quite the appetite for them, so I yanked them out of her mouth and put them away. Ah, the junk drawer. Of course.
"CO-OO--OO--LERS!!! Wah ah aha ah wah!!"
Crayons and construction paper were promptly placed in front of Miss Drama Queen, and the house grew eerily quiet. I stood ready to pull purple chunks of crayon out of her mouth if necessary, but after a few minutes I realized I wouldn't have that problem. She put blue in her right hand, red in her left, and ever so carefully began her masterpiece of random lines. Then on to the purple and brown. Wait, maybe the blue again. Oh, just to see the artist come out.
So this is Mimi's new obsession. If she hears Nate Berkus on Oprah talking about "COLOR," I have to be ready to have the Big Bird coloring book and 8 pack of fat Crayolas ready. It is fabulous to have something to actually keep her busy in restaurants now!
So Mimi's obsession is coloring, and mine is, well, her. Or her new hairstyle rather. Yesterday she woke up with some serious bedhead after naptime, and I thought why not pigtails? Oh. My. Goodness. She is such a big girl now. I took about 15 pictures of her on my phone, and I have looked at them at least 75 times today. I showed them to all of my nurses, ". . . and here she is with pigtails coloring, and here she is watching Sesame Street, and here she is with pigtails standing on her head."
Have I lost it yet?

3 comments:

Kyle and Matt Still said...

You are a great writer! This post made me so happy!! I do love a good coloring session myself! And the pigtails are adorable.

googe said...

BLOGS...doesn't that mean UPDATES?
that means, OFTEN?
and yes, we love your writing, your photos......but only when they are often, and don't get STALE
xoxoxoxo

googe said...

BTW
when do we find out about#2's IDENTITY?